natural / hypoallergenic / comfortable
When it comes time to replace your floor, narrowing down your options can be daunting due to the vast number of flooring materials available.While many people automatically think of hardwood or laminate, they may not consider cork. However, cork flooring, which has been available for several decades, has recently gained popularity due to its retro appearance and the fact that it is an eco-friendly option.
Pros of Cork Flooring
Before selecting the best material for you, it is important to be aware of the pros and cons of cork flooring.
- Natural: Aside from its aesthetic appeal, one of the main reasons for the resurgence in the popularity of cork flooring is the fact that it is a renewable resource. Unlike hardwoods, taken from forests or tropical rainforests, cork yields from living trees. Afterwards, the trees naturally regenerate their bark. In addition, strict protocols are in place to ensure that harvesting cork does not permanently damage cork trees. As an added advantage, cork is biodegradable.
- Unique: Cork is a unique flooring option which works well with a number of different décor styles. At Chestnut Flooring, we offer many different types of cork flooring and can help you find the most suitable tone and texture for your space. In addition, it is possible to dye or stain cork in order to achieve your desired look. Although panels are the most common option, cork floors are also available in squares and strips, which can be customized to suit your needs.
- Comfortable: Because cork is a very flexible, springy material, cork floors are extremely soft and comfortable to stand and walk on. As a result, cork is well suited to areas of the home where you stand for longer periods of time, such as the kitchen as well as the rooms of children or the elderly, who are more prone to slips and falls. At Chestnut Flooring, we stock the best cork flooring for kitchens, which offers support underfoot.
- Warm: Cork is also an excellent insulator, which means your home will be warm and comfortable. The miniscule air-filled chambers, which cork is comprised of, help to regulate the room’s temperature by minimizing the transmission of heat out of the room. Likewise, it will help keep the room cool in the summer, reducing your air conditioning bill. In addition, cork acts as a sound barrier, reducing the transfer of noise.
- Hypoallergenic: Another advantage of cork floors is that they are hypoallergenic. If you or a family member suffer from allergies, cork floors will not collect dust like many alternative flooring options do. It also contains suberin, which is a substance that naturally prevents the development of mildew, mold, or rot, helping to improve the room’s air quality.
- It can be refinished: Just like hardwood, cork floors can be refinished when they begin to show signs of wear. By sanding it down and reapplying the stain or finish sealer, cork can be easily revitalized, which helps to extend its longevity. This process can be completed several times, provided that a thick, high quality cork is used.
- Easy to maintain: When installed by an experienced professional, who uses several layers of water barrier sealer, cork floors are a durable option which can be easy to maintain. Spills can be wiped up and dirt and debris can be swept or vacuumed.
Cork is an impressively durable material derived from the bark of cork oak trees, which are typically found in northern Africa and southern Europe.It is harvested from living trees and ground, compressed, and molded into sheets, which are then converted into floor planks and tiles. If you are interested in flooring that is unique, comfortable, warm, and available in a number of natural variations, cork may be an excellent option for you. At Chestnut Flooring, we are proud to offer cork flooring in Toronto due to its numerous advantages.
Cons of Cork Flooring
Although the pros outweigh the cons, it is important to understand the potential cork flooring problems.
- It can be pierced or punctured easily: While the softness of cork means it is comfortable to stand and walk on, it also makes it susceptible to damage. Furniture, pets, shoes, and sharp objects can puncture or pierce the floor’s surface, resulting in visible imperfections. In addition, dirt or debris that is not removed can scar the surface of the floor. Over time, appliances and furniture will leave visible dents in cork flooring, as heavy fixtures gradually sink into the cork. To reduce the likelihood of permanent divots, it is advisable to use protective coasters under the legs of all furniture and rest heavy appliances on plywood. Cork is not recommended for individuals with pets because the claws of dogs and cats, in particular, can scratch and damage cork floors.
- It is not water resistant: Although a sealant is used to protect cork floors against water stains, flooding or leaks can damage cork, as it is not resistant to water infiltration. In addition, when installed in damp areas such as basements or laundry rooms or exposed to humidity, cork can curl or warp, causing tiles to pop out.
- Cork can fade: When exposed to direct sunlight, the colour of cork can gradually fade. As a result, some areas, frequently exposed to the sun, may become discoloured, creating an uneven appearance. While this can be prevented by closing blinds or curtains, it is important to be aware of this risk.
Is Cork Flooring Expensive?If you are interested in cork flooring, you are likely wondering about the cost. The cost of cork flooring is comparable to the price of most hardwood floors, ranging from $2 to $12 per square foot, plus the cost of installation. At Chestnut Flooring, we offer high quality cork flooring at competitive prices that cannot be beat and recommend leaving installation to us in order to ensure you are satisfied with the results.
To learn more about this innovative flooring option, we invite you to visit our showroom, conveniently located in Toronto. We guarantee you will be impressed with our knowledge and expertise, extensive cork flooring selection, installation, and competitive cork flooring prices. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will be happy to answer all of your questions and help you find the flooring type that suits your individual needs, aesthetic goals, space, and budget. Leaving the installation to us will ensure that the experience is stress-free and that your expectations are surpassed.
More trendy and unique styles
Chestnut Flooring prides itself on providing unique flooring types and varieties – such as cork flooring. Check out our video outlining other most sophisticated styles we have to offer.